Sunday, July 1, 2007

Weekend Recap

Friday I went to the Hot Springs with the CCS staff and the other volunteer that stayed behind for the weekend. It was great. We both got private rooms with a hot tub that had been filled with water from the spring. After we got done there they drove us to a beach and we saw a HUGE lizard thing! We spent a litte time there and then headed back to town to get massages... just the right way to end the day :) Saturday I didn't end up getting to Nakhon Si Thammarat, which was kind of a bummer. But I was still feeling a little under the weather so I didn't want to push too hard this weekend. Instead the other volunteer and I biked over to the temple that sponsors the school he teaches for. They're building a new temple, so we checked out the construction. There's a shop there and half of the proceeds goes to the temple and half goes to the school. After lunch we went into town and did a little shopping and exploring the town. I'm bummed because this area isn't a tourist spot so I haven't been able to find any postcards to send everyone... I hope I can find some soon so that I can at least send them from Bangkok before I leave!! Today we got up early and headed to Krabi to an elephant camp. We went on a short trek, fed the elephants, and watched one take a bath. I really loved spending time with them. The place seems to accomodate the elephants well- they seem happy. I was sad that when they're not taking a walk or bathing they have to be chained up to eat. Otherwise they run off and destroy plantations. I want to come live there so I can take the elephants for walks all the time and they won't have to be chained!! I got some great pictures of the jungle and of the elephants. It was a fairly short day, but I'm exhausted!! I got lots of sun and I'm feeling ready to come home I think. I only have a few more days at my placement and then I fly to Bangkok on Friday. I'll be sad to leave all the great people here. The women at my placement have been so amazing. They're showing us around and I think they're taking us to a waterfall sometime this week. So, it's back to work for one more week! What's going on back there? Send me some messages!!

No comments: